After-Care Instructions for Arestin Periodontal Treatment
What is it?
Arestin® is a bioresorbable gel containing minocycline (a tetracycline derivative) microspheres. It has been FDA approved for treatment of gum disease after a deep cleaning procedure known as scaling and root planing
How does it work on gum disease?
When placed in a periodontal pocket, Arestin® maintains a high-level of antibiotic right at the gum disease site without exposing the rest of the body to antibiotics. This allows treatment using one-hundredth the usual pill-form dose. It directly fights the gum disease infection for 14 days.
How do I get the best results from my treatment with Arestin®?
- No eating or drinking for 30 minutes following treatment
- Avoid touching the treated areas.
- Wait 12 hours after your treatment before brushing teeth.
- Wait 10 days before using floss, toothpicks, or other devices designed to clean between the treated teeth.
- Avoid foods for 1 week that could hurt your gums. (popcorn, chips, etc.)
- Don’t chew gum or eat sticky foods.
- After 10 days, resume cleaning between the treated teeth on a daily basis.
Remember, you must do your part. After your Arestin® therapy, if you don’t brush at least 2 times per day and floss every day, then any dental treatment of your gum disease will not work effectively.